Friday, July 18, 2008

Sailing The Seas Of Smiles

First off, Dad, I answered your comment to the post below. I hope I didn't sound like a dumbass. I know I did.

Secondly, after the rather weighty posts of late, I figured I'd clue you good people into something really funny.

If you have not done so, you need to go right now and watch the hilarious Internet series Yacht Rock.

Click here for the homepage of YR. Click here for the dramatic final episode, which involves Jimmy Buffett's diabolical plot to kidnap Kenny Loggins and how Michael McDonald and James Ingraham save the day. "Ya Mo Be There?" You bet.

Basically, it is a series that explains the origins (?) of some of the smoothest music ever written. Main characters include Kenny Loggins, Michael McDonald, Walter Becker and Donald Fagen (Steely Dan) and more.

You will witness the birth of yacht rock (click here for a definition), the battle between Loggins/McDonald and Hall and Oates for yacht rock supremacy, the notion of yacht rap, Jetrho Tull (not yacht rock) and his magic fairy flute, the violent confrontation between The Eagles and Steely Dan and Kenny Loggins being lured to the dark side with promises of movie theme stardom (really, if you think about it, Loggins wrote just about every movie theme song from 1981 to about 1990).

You will also hear the sounds of smoothness and get carried away on the tide of warm, sunny musical perfection. For a good yacht rock playlist, click here.

So, dear readers, set sail for smooth music and I'll see you at the marina.

Have your doubts? That's what a fool believes.

1 comment:

MJenks said...

I'll check this out when I get home. Mostly because I have no sound on my computer at work AND because there's a bigass window right behind me that looks into the main hallway.

Plus, I can't get nekkid and swill margaritas at work.