Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Remembrance. A Tribute. An Honor, Really.

Yesterday was my birthday and I extend my heartfelt thanks to all who helped me celebrate and who send their well-wishes.

I would like to point to one person in particular who did me the great honor of dedicating a blog post to me. That person is the inimitable M. Gordon Jenks. Read the post here.

What a joy to walk down those (booze-dimmed) paths of memory! If you read the post (and I hope you do), you get a pretty good picture of my college years and my relationship to a person who is the best of friends.

Oh, all that you read there is true. Absolutely true.

We had a lot of fun, ingested a lot of beverages, did a lot of really strange stuff and had a hell of a time. It was nigh on the perfect college experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

So, thanks, Jenksie. You brought a tear of joy to these thirty-one year-old bloodshot Irish eyes.

(Oh, if you need anything in Jenks's post explained, ask and we will do our best).

(Also, read the post below about remembrances of the past of a different nature).

2 comments:

Manders said...

on July 25th you wrote:
"Why does our society have such strange views on friendship? In the hierarchy of interpersonal relationships, why can't friendships be as deep/meaningful as marriages seem to be? I get the feeling (being familiar with the scholarship) that this was not always the case."

I linked to your blog through MJenks b-day post for you (very impressive by the way).
And that made me think about friendship at that point.

But that comment you made in the 7/25 post was extra-ordinary because it was so simple. Why does society set expectations on the one relationship of a man/wife to be EVERYTHING. I completely agree that it wasn't always that way. And perhaps that's why so many marriages are failing now, because one person just can't be EVERYTHING for the other person.

Just my ramblings. I think I'm going to blog about this now and go away.

Happy belated birthday!!!

MJenks said...

Perhaps next year I'll compose a loving tribute to Bruce, the House Plant who Fell in a Most Honorable and Dignified Manner. I'm thinking it'll be a panegyric.

Time to brush up my iambic pentameter.

Oh, and happy birthday.