Thursday, December 18, 2008

Multum In Parvo

(I intend posts with the above title to become a semi-regular feature here at COTL. I run across a lot of stuff in my reading, research and boredom that I think is interesting, but that may not need extended commentary on my part. There are also some things that I find funny, amusing or ironic that are in the same category. I want to share these with my readers (you are there, right?) and open them for comment and discussion. If discussion or interest seems to warrant it, I will comment at more length. In the meantime, you can rely on my regular extended commentary on, well, whatever the hell is bothering me at present. So, without further ado...)

  • An interesting article linking the Bernard Madoff debacle with the idea of affinity fraud. I wonder how much this had to do with the scope of Madoff's deception? Also, the term "Ponzi scheme" has been bandied about a lot without much explanation. Click here for that.
  • The latest person to jump on the "capitalism is dead" bandwagon? The guy who created Dilbert. Give me a break.
  • "I, Pencil" turns fifty years old. It is one of the clearest expositions of why and how free markets work. Read it here (don't worry - it is really short).
  • This year's version of America's Safest (and Most Dangerous) cities is out. Lists like this fascinate me, especially the criteria that they use.
  • One in-depth take on the relationship between Central Europe and Russia. I would be more worried about Central Asia and the Transcaucasus, though.
  • I cannot get this song out of my head for some reason. Read more about why people get songs stuck in their memories here and here.

No comments: