Friday, January 21, 2005

The Great American Punk/Emo Kid Weight Challenge!

I was at a show that involved several bands, one of which is comprised of my brother and several of my friends (they are Second Story Collapse - they rule). There, I noticed a disturbing trend. A lot of people in the music scene around here, especially the punk kids, are in serious need of some nourishment. They are thin and pale, mopey and sallow. They seem eternally angst-ridden and pouty.

Now, I understand that a lot of this is part of the lifestyle (silly, but hey, it's your life). I cannot help you with you like for crappy music or many of the mental problems that you have/fake/create. There is one thing that I CAN help with: the lack of good food in your life.

You see, we have a defective view of food in this country. Food is, for the most part, a utilitarian notion. People want to eat quick, don't care what it is so they can get back to watching American Idol and not reading anything. The Europeans (including...THE FRENCH) view eating as essential, a daily ritual, a feast for the senses and a spiritual occurrence. This seems more healthy, no?

So, malnourished punk kids of America, let's change our outlook. Let's revel in the simple pleasures of good food and lots of it.

Some websites that can help you:

See guys? It can be fun. So turn that "world-weary" smirk upside down, quit being ironic for a second and let's go! You'll have a different view on life!

We can do this. I believe in you.

Or keep bein' creepy. Whatever.


No comments: